Perm is one of the major research centers of Russia, where the range of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences institutes is focused, dozens of research and design institutes, and seven institutions of higher education, leading a variety of research applied and fundamental themes. Some of the research organizations are united in the Perm Scientific Center of UB RAS. Its core constitutes of the Institute of Continuum Mechanics and the Institute for Technical Chemistry.
Perm has 14 higher education institutions and more than 40 branches of Moscow and St. Petersburg higher education establishments:
• Perm State University is one of the oldest and largest universities in the Urals, founded in 1916, here study more than 18 thousand students, and educate - more than 1,800 teachers. Through the history It formed scientific schools of physicists, chemists, geologists and hydrogeologists, geographers, philosophers and philologists. In 2010, Perm State University received the status of National Research University.
• Perm National Research Polytechnic University - the largest technical university in the city, it enrolls more than 28,000 students. In 2009, Perm State Technical University received the status of National Research University.
• Perm State Pedagogical University.
• Perm State Medical University.
• Perm State Pharmaceutical Academy.
• Perm State Agricultural Academy.
• Perm State Academy of Art and Culture.
• West Ural Institute of Economics and Law.
• Ural Academy of State Service.
In Perm there are branches, not only of Russian but also of foreign universities.